Georgia Equality and local Augusta partners hosted the Augusta Cocktails for Equality Reception & Benefit at the Partridge Inn where we met with community member and local elected officials.
As part of the evening, guests and friends mourned the shocking loss of Rowan Feldhaus, a Georgia Equality board member and remembered him as fearless advocate for LGBT rights. Continue reading
A Community Roundtable
RSVP Here: https://goo.gl/hbdN4x
President Donald Trump’s Fiscal Year 2018 budget proposal includes severe cuts to many HIV and related programs.
- $59 million cut to Ryan White Programs
- Elimination of AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETC)
- Elimination of Special Programs of National Significance (SPNS)
- A nearly 20% cut to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s, HIV prevention programs.
- An unprecedented $630 million cap on Medicaid spending
- $26 million cut from HUD’s Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) program
- Elimination of the Minority AIDS Initiative fund
These cuts will weaken our state’s already fragile social safety net and have catastrophic consequences for Georgians living with HIV. Communities already disproportionately impacted by HIV, particularly African-Americans, will be particularly vulnerable. We must respond.
Join Georgia Equality, Counter Narrative Project, Lambda Legal, THRIVE SS and other community leaders and organizations for a community roundtable on the following topics:
– Updates on the current impact of HIV on metropolitical Atlanta and Georgia communities.
– Overview of proposed budget cuts to Ryan White, CDC and HOPWA and how this will impact services going forward
– Information on Medicaid block grants and AHCA
Tuesday June 13th
Phillip Rush Center Annex
328 Mell Avenue Suite B
Atlanta, GA 30307
if you have questions contact:
The 2017 Equality Award Honorees are chosen as inspirational
people who exemplify courage, compassion and a relentless tenacity for creating positive change in Georgia.
And the Honorees are: Continue reading
Georgia Equality joins our colleagues and friends in Augusta, GA and across the country in mourning the tragic loss of Rowan Feldhaus. Rowan had recently become a member of Georgia Equality’s Board of Directors after taking the courageous step to work with Lambda Legal and appeal an anti-trans decision from a judge who denied his petition to change his name. Continue reading
Thank You to the Equality Council!
Thank you to our Equality Council members who make a difference in a way that few others do. It is your investment in Georgia Equality that allows us to keep the pressure on our state’s leaders to help shape the quality of life in our community and to assure full equality- for all persons regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or any other discriminatory classification. Continue reading